I’m not a morning person. Never have been, although I do have to say that I’m getting better as I’m getting older. Summer 2009* I was having a particularly hard time getting up for work in the morning (had nothing to do with the fact that I was closing down bars 4 nights a week…) so I asked my friend Dirt** who worked for a landscape company and had to be to work at sunrise what the secret was to waking up early. He said you have to take a cold shower and belt out your favorite tunes.
* Summer 2009 will go down in history as one of my favorite summers of all time.
** I’m pretty sure Dirt’s nickname came before the job at the landscape company but can’t be 100% sure. Which came first, the chicken or the egg?
To have a successful shower singing experience I’ve found that you need to have 3 basic things:
1. A Shower. Preferably an outdoor shower but I understand that not all of us can afford the same luxury that we have here in Key West, especially in December, so any old shower will due.
2. A Speaker. If you’re going to be legit you have to have a legit speaker. I highly recommend this one. It’s awesome, has a suction cup and is only $19.99 on Amazon.
3. A Song. Or in my case song(s). Here’s a few of my recent faves, which will also give you a pretty good indication of how random my choice in music is. You can also find my playlist Singing In The Shower on Spotify. You’re welcome.
1. Shower- BeckyG
Obviously this makes the top of the list.
2. Marvin Gaye- Charlie Pruth (featuring Megan Trainor)
And so does this song because I can’t get it out of my damn head. And I guarantee the same thing will happen to you now…
3. Smoke A Little Smoke- Eric Church
Something about that verse, “kick back give the blues a spin, break out the wine, begin again. Dig down deep, find my stash, light it up, take me back…” just makes me want to start line dancing in the shower. *Sigh* If only it were larger than 2’x2’…
4. Where Are You U Now- Skrillex & Diplo (featuring Justin Bieber)
You can say you don’t like Justin Bieber. Yeah, he acts like a douche sometimes and has a history of making poor decisions but I dare you not to sing the chorus by the end.
5. Bad Blood- Taylor Swift
All hail The Queen. Bad Blood has been #1 on the charts for 5 weeks in a row.
6. Sugar- Maroon 5
Sing it with me! Adam Levine… yes please. Won’t you come and put it down on me.
7. Whatever You Like- T.I.
This song always makes me feel like a boss. I don’t know why, none of it is really applicable to me. I just always feel gangster AF when I’m rapping in the shower and know all the words.
My chick could have what she want, And goin’ every store for any bag she want, And know she ain’t never had a man like that, To buy you anything ya heart desire I that. #boom
8. On To Something Good- Ashley Monroe
What a great way to start the day. I feel like I’m onto something good… belt it out, that’s EXACTLY the kind of energy you should be putting out into the universe first thing in the morning! Or anytime of day for that matter.
9. Hypnotize- The Notorious B.I.G
Biggie Biggie Biggie, can’t you see, sometimes your words just hypnotize me.
10. I Wanna Dance With Somebody- Whitney Houston
Saving all my love for you Whitney. This will always has and always will be my jam.